GHS: Morning Announcements
2013 PORTAVIAN YEARBOOK:
Purchase today! Only $80.00
"Good Morning, Gateway!"
Friday, May 17, 2013
The Annual SGA banquet picnic will be next Tuesday, May 21 at Monroeville Park from 5pm to 7pm. Please sign up in room 238 for your side dish by this Friday.
Any junior who is interested in being a part senior class council next year should stop by room 2203 or 2220 and pick up an application. Completed applications are due to Ms. Schlesman or Mrs. Hershberger no later than Friday, May 24th.
PUT YOUR NAME ON THE 2013 PORTAVIAN YEARBOOK 'WAIT LIST!" On May 15, 2013 you need to put your name on the "2013 Yearbook Wait List" and the cost is $110 dollars. Only 20 extra yearbooks have been ordered. And seniors, if you ordered a 2013 Portavian Yearbook and it is paid-in-full by May 14, 2013 your yearbook will be mailed directly to your home. Our 2013 Portavian Yearbook should be delivered the end of September/early October. Thank you for supporting Gateway's Portavian Yearbook.
Attention All Students: There are many students speeding to park their car in the parking lot or behind the sports complex and high school cafeteria after school. You are reminded to follow the SPEED ZONE. It's better to be safe and happy, than oh, so so sorry.
The 2013 Walk Now for Autism Speaks will be on June 1st at Heinz Field. Any student wishing to walk or volunteer, please see Mr. Wallace in room 224. Several students from Gateway have committed to participate and this is a great way to help people afflicted with autism. It is also a good way to earn service hours. So, see Mr.Wallace if you are interested or need more information.
- AIM students should check his/her mailbox in the AIM office on a weekly basis. Many new and exciting opportunities await you!
CLASS OF 2014 FREE SENIOR PHOTO SESSION
- Elaine Petrakis Photography announces the "Class of 2014" FREE Senior Photos for the 2014 Portavian Yearbook entitled, "TRANSFORMATION." Gateway High School’s Cafeteria.
- June 25, 26, and 27, 2013
- 10:00am - 3:00 pm.
- Session should only take 5 minutes!
- ALL YEARBOOK PICTURES MUST BE DONE OVER THE SUMMER. Seniors may also schedule an appointment at EPP Studio ALL SUMMER!
- If you choose to have your yearbook photo taken by another studio, other than the district's contracted photographer, the yearbook staff cannot be responsible for the quality of its reproduction.
- Due to the printing schedule of the book, all photographs not taken by the district's contracted photographer must be delivered to Mrs. Kollar before the end of the day on Wednesday, November 20, 2013.
- No late pictures can be accepted and no pictures will be returned to the students.
- If the contracted photographer takes your photograph, it will be delivered directly to the staff, and no other arrangements need to be made.
Final Exam Schedule
- Grade 12 Exam Schedule
- Wednesday, May 29, 2013
- English, Math, Art, FACS, Phy Ed
- Thursday, May 30, 2013
- Science, Social Studies, Music, Tech Ed., Health, Phy Ed
- Friday, May 31, 2013
- World Language, Business, Phy Ed
- Monday, June 3 and Tuesday, June 4, 2013
- Grade 9 - 12 Exam Schedule
- Tuesday, June 4, 2013
- Period Sequence: 2-2, 3, 5-5, 6, 7-7
- Wednesday, June 5, 2013
- Period Sequence: 1, 3-3, 4, 5, 6-6, 7
- Thursday, June 6, 2013
- Period Sequence: 1-1, 2, 4-4, 6, 8-8
Gateway High School Rules & Regulations
- Students are reminded that Gateway High School has a closed campus policy.
- Students are not permitted to go outdoors or leave the building or campus at any time during the school day without administration’s permission.
- At 2:27 p.m. students will be dismissed from eighth period to board buses to go home. Please note that the bus “line up” sheet is on the classroom bulletin board.
- It will show where the buses are located for departure.
- Arrival and departure of bus numbers are the same, unless otherwise notified.
- No loitering in the building after school or students are subject to detentions and/or fines.
- No soft drinks and bottles outside the area of the cafeteria is prohibited during school hours.
- It's springtime and once again the administration would like to remind all students to follow the school dress code rules: short-shorts, crop tops, sheer material, baggy pants, flip-flops, and spaghetti straps are not appropiate school dress attire. If you are seen wearing inappropriate clothing, you will be sent to the main office.
- There are NO Activity Buses this year; therefore, if you attend a club meeting or activity after school, you must find your own transportation home.
- Youth Alive will be meeting again every Thursday after school in Press Box 2.
- The following are grade assignments for the High School Counselors for 2012-2013 school year:
- HELP WANTED!
- Monroeville K-Mart is now hiring for all shifts. If you are interested in this opportunity information is posted on the window of the Guidance Office.
- If you are looking for a summer job, Silver & Gold Connection in Monroeville Mall is looking for two sales associates to work 15-20 hours per week. You must be 18 years old. Previous selling experience (McDonalds, Wendy’s, etc.) is a plus. You must be flexible to work any shift including evenings and weekends. You can apply at the Silver and Gold Connection, upper level, center court of Monroeville Mall.
- Attention students looking for a summer job. Edgewood Country Club is looking for students to work in their snack bar. If you are interested please see Mrs. Kallenbaugh in the Guidance Office.
- U.S. Service Academy Information Day is on May 18th at Ambridge High School from 10a to 11:30a. For more information, please see Mrs. Tortorella
- Freshman interested in taking the PSAT in October please see Mr. Taylor.
- Students are reminded they are not to come to the counseling office without a pass from their teacher. If you come during a class period and you do not have a pass, you will NOT be given one to return to your class late. Please be responsible and be where you are supposed to be during this 4th 9 weeks. Thank you. No students will be able to the CRC 7th period for the remainder of the school year. It is in use by assigned students. Any questions see Mrs. Tortorella.
- All seniors who did not pick up his/her cap and gown must see Mrs. Estok in the main office today.
- Forms for final transcripts have been given to your homeroom teachers. Please fill out and return your form to Mrs. Kallenbaugh in the Guidance Office by the end of the week. If you are continuing your education it is important that you turn this form in as it could impact your scheduling of classes in college. You could be denied entrance without proof of high school graduation.
- If you are interested in attending the best dance of the year that will offer you the opportunity to celebrate a successful senior year, purchase your Senior Dinner Dance ticket for $35 during lunch May 20-24. This dance includes dinner, superlative award ceremony, viewing of senior video, and of course dancing. The dance will be from 6:00 to 10:30 at Edgewood Country Club on the last senior day of school - Friday, May 31st. You must have a completed Dinner Dance Form in order to purchase your ticket.
- Please complete the Senior Superlative Sheet by Friday, May 17th and return to Mrs. Hershberger in room 2220.
- Reminder to Seniors who purchased a 2013 Portavian Year: If you ordered a 2013 Portavian Yearbook and it was paid-in-full by May 14, 2013 your yearbook will be mailed directly to your home. Our 2013 Portavian Yearbook should be delivered the end of September/early October. Thank you for supporting Gateway's Portavian Yearbook.
- Attention Golfers: There will be a brief informational meeting after school on Monday May 20th in room 233 for anyone interested in trying out for the golf team next year. We will discuss the schedule for the upcoming year. If you are unable to attend please see Mr. Tyska before the meeting.
- Yesterday, at the WPIAL Track & Field Championships, Gateway's Track Team enjoyed a record-breaking day in which they captured four WPIAL Championships and garnered a total of 14 medals. The first gold of the day went to Anthony Bauccio in the Men's Shot Put. Shortly, thereafter, Montae Nicholson took first place in the 110 meter high hurdles, in the process breaking the WPIAL meet record as well asa Gateway school record set in 1975 when he clocked 14.39 seconds. Ten minutes later, Julius Rivera captured gold in the 100 meter dash, closely followed by teammate Cameron Gray who finished 4th and also qualified for the PIAA Championships next week. In the next boys race, senior Tyler Palenchak ran a 4:23 in the 1600 meter run, placing 6th and qualifying for next week's state championships. Then Montae Nicholson placed 3rd in the Long Jump; his leap of 23' 1.5" broke a 30-year old school record. Then he joined Julius Rivera, Jae'Len Means, and Cameron Gray in winning the 400 meter relay in a new school record time of 41.89, the third fastest time in the state this year. Three events later, Jae'Len Means took the 2nd place silver medal in the 200 meter dash to go along with his 8th place medal in the 400, Cameron Gray's 7th in the 200, and Kenny Stevens' 7th place finish in the 300 meter hurdles. On the girls side of things, Aiyanna Crawford broke two school records. Her 57.07 in the 400 broke her own school record & earned her a bronze medal; while her 2:15.57 shattered the school record set in 1982 by two full seconds and garnered the 5th place medal and a trip to the state championships. Closing out the medal parade was Jahniah McAllister who placed 7th in the 100 meter hurdles. Congratulations to all of these fine student athletes; and good luck next week!
- Attention all members of both the girls and boys Track & Field teams. The team picnic is coming! The picnic is scheduled for Wednesday, May 29th, with the rain date being on June 3rd. Stay tuned to coming announcements regarding signups! In the meantime, any team member who is done competing who has not turned in his or her uniform to Coach LaBuff needs to do so immediately.
It's going to be a fun-filled day at Kennywood, so be happy. ...and have a great time!
********GO GATORS!********GO GATORS!********GO GATORS!********