Grief and Coping Information
The list of agencies shown below provide support in many mental health areas. The information below has been provided through the efforts of the Gateway Special Services Department.
Helping Kids During Crisis
• Try and keep routines as normal as possible. Kids gain security from the predictability of routine, including attending school.?
• Limit exposure to television and the news.?
• Be honest with kids and share with them as much information as they are developmentally able to handle.?
• Listen to kids’ fears and concerns.?
• Reassure kids that the world is a good place to be, but that there are people who do bad things.
• Parents and adults need to first deal with and assess their own responses to crisis and stress.
• Rebuild and reaffirm attachments and relationships.
Dealing with Grief
Feelings of Anger: are normal. It is okay to feel angry. It doesn’t mean that you didn’t care. You can be angry at someone’s behavior and still care deeply about that person
Feelings of Responsibility: This death is not your fault. We can’t always predict or control someone else’s behavior
Help Is Available: You are encouraged to seek help from a trusted adult if they or a friend are feeling depressed or suicidal. This is an important time for all in our [school, team, etc.] community to support and look out for one another.
If you are concerned about a friend, you need to be sure to tell a trusted adult
If a parent/guardian is concerned, do not hesitate to contact the high school guidance office at 412-372-0447.
Crisis and Suicide Hotline | 412-820-HELP (4357)
Re:solve | 1-888-7-YOU CAN (1-888-796-8226)
Survivors of Suicide | 412-624-5170
(A Center for Grieving Children)
The Compassionate Friends | 412- 835-1105 - Pgh | 877-969-0010 - National
Helpline | 412-255-1155
Our School Psychologist, Monica Griffith, will also be available during school hours at 412-373-5724 or 412-372-5300 for those needing assistance.
We are saddened by any loss to our school community and our thoughts are always with the families of all those affected. Gateway School District will make every effort to help you and your child as individual needs arise.